Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Do you really NEED it?

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."  Paul, in Philippians 4.

"But Mom, I neeeeed it!"  Who hasn't been in a store and heard a child say something to that effect?  Or, for those who are parents, who hasn't heard their child say that several times?  I remember watching a mother one time, after her child had said this, who tried to convince her child that he wouldn't die if he didn't get what he wanted.  But it didn't seem that logic really helped that young one to understand that he didn't really "need" what he wanted.

How do we tell the difference between what we need and what we want?  Is it possible that much of what we think we need in life really are only things we want?  And then, if we should happen to have more than what we merely need, do we start to think of those extras, those luxuries, as needs that we cannot live without?

I'm not going to proclaim myself an expert on this.  I'm just as guilty as anyone on confusing needs and wants.  It seems that I still have a long way to go in learning to be content in all things.  I also have grown to realize that I will not suddenly get to a point in life where I no longer desire to go above the basic needs of life.  This desire to have more, to have my wants fulfilled, will be with me until I die. 

That's why Jesus and the cross means so much to me in my life.  I cannot overcome my desire for more.  Only God can do that, and He has done it in Jesus.  In some way, I cannot wait until God brings me to His everlasting realm, where I no longer have that desire for my wants, but rather, live in the fullness of God's riches.  But until then, my prayer is that God will help me learn more about contentment in my journey with Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment