Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Real Life" and Faith

There are times in life where "real life" gets in the way of what we hope to accomplish or achieve.  In recent months, the birth of a baby has truly impacted what I would like to accomplish in my professional and occupational life.  Transitions involving naps, tantrums, and adjustments to the regular routine cause that part of my life to be impacted as I deal with "real life" at home.

Believe, this isn't something I am complaining about.  The fact that I have an occupation and situation where I can spend that extra time with my family is something that is truly a blessing.  Even when my shoulder is wet with spitup (yet again), I find very little to complain about.  Okay, lack of sleep can be something to complain about, but thankfully, inroads are being made to resolve that issue!

Okay, rambling man, so what's the point?  "Real Life" often has an impact on our lives outside our home.  The thing is, it also has an impact on faith.  What do you do with the tempermental teen who doesn't want to go worship on Sunday morning?  How do you have a discussion with your child about God's commandment against stealing when their "real life" friends are involved in breaking the commandment?  What do you do when "real life" leaves you tired, depressed, and struggling, and your faith may seem to have relatively few immediate answers?

One thing I would suggest when "real life" happens and faith gets impacted.  Don't stop talking about it.  In fact, far too often, real life situations arise because we haven't talked about faith matters and what they have to do with real life.  Why is God so adamant about stealing?  That discussion could lead to a greater appreciation for how God distributes His gifts, and what that means in terms of ownership.  Talking about what coveting is may actually lead to discussion about contentment, and may actually have an impact on spending habits and envy toward friends and their possessions.

Basically, the more we can talk about faith (not just church, but faith, a distinction I intend to make in a coming post), the more we open up to talking about the role our faith plays in our real life.  That's when we start to see how faith can impact "real life" rather than having "real life" impact our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment