Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Building Up The Body

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ..."  Ephesians 4:11-13

In recent months, I have taken a new challenge upon myself.  I have a coach who helps me walk through my thinking when it comes to the work that I do of building up the body, of preparing God's people to continue the spread of God's kingdom into this world, and in the building up of the Body that already is part of God's kingdom.

I have a coach for a few reasons.  I recognize that, while I may have some level of education, I also do not have all the answers when it comes to leading, to teaching, and to preparing God's people.  God gives us others to help us clarify our thoughts, to refine our thinking, and to come up with ideas and plans that are sharpened upon the iron whetstones of others.  None of us is so wise on our own that our thoughts and ideas have no room for improvement, and so I have a coach to help me sharpen my thinking.

I also have a coach to assist in holding me accountable for what I plan to do.  One thing that has been proven time and time again is that, when we humans have someone to whom we have to report, we have a much greater tendency to do what we planned to do.  When we are left to our own devices, we are much more likely to let things slide and leave them undone.  But when we have someone who will ask us about them, or with whom we partner, then we are much more likely to follow through.  So I have a coach to also serve as a means of motivating me to do that which I plan.

But ultimately, I have a coach because God's ministry is not done by one person.  As you read through the verses above, it should become clear that the one who is placed as leader of God's people has the responsibility to build up the members so that they take up the ministry in greater and more direct ways.  In some respects, the one who finds himself in the place I happen to hold has a great responsibility to teach others how to do what God would have the Body of Christ be doing.  It's not merely setting them free to do what they want, but to teach them how to do it, and work with them as they figure it out.

So I have a coach because I cannot do it all on my own.  Even as I prepare others, I also need to be prepared.  Even as I teach others to be disciplined, I also need to be disciplined.  Even as I build up others, I need to be built up.  And those are some of the reasons that I have a coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment