Thursday, July 10, 2014

Strangers and Aliens

I admit that I have been fascinated by space, aliens, and things of that nature since I was very young.  I still have a tough time passing over a headline that says something about UFO's.  Not that I necessarily believe them, but I just find them fascinating.  After all, space is the final frontier, and these are (not) the voyages of a starship, but a little boy's mind still at work, even in a more grown up body.

Aliens and strangers are different.  I remember the cantina scene in the original Star Wars movie, and still find them all fascinating.  They are so different, and yet, appealing.  Star Trek, and especially Mr. Spock, have always stood out to me.  Alien, yet enough alike to be able to fit in (and who knows, pointy ears could just be a conversation point rather than a point of difference).

When I read Ephesians 2:13-23, especially verses 19-23, we see a picture of aliens and strangers being brought together.  In Jesus, all us human beings are no longer aliens and strangers, but are part of the household of God in Jesus.  We are fellow citizens with the saints. 

What does that mean for us?  It means that we may look different, sound different, act different, and even prefer different things (music styles, chairs vs. pews, etc.), but we all belong together.  We are in a household, and just like a household has variety that is accomodated, so also in the household of God.  God brings people of radically different backgrounds, likes, and thoughts, and unites them together in Christ Jesus.

The thing is, we may no longer be strangers and aliens, but we still have to deal with the differences that arise.  And that's where we learn to deal with one another in Christian love.  Yes, we will still sin against our household, and yes, we will still need to not only confess and ask for/receive forgiveness, but we will have to figure out how to resolve those differences in loving, tangible ways.  But we do so guided by love.  After all, we are part of the family.  The family is to be stronger than our disagreements.

So I guess you could say that I am still fascinated by aliens and strangers.  Only, now I find my fascination to be in how to bring them together in Christ love, just as Jesus has brought them together into His eternal household. 

No comments:

Post a Comment