Friday, May 23, 2014

The Desperate Prayer, All Alone

"And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.'"  Matthew 26:39

First, a little context.  The above verse comes from the time when Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Thursday evening, He had celebrated the Passover with His disciples, revealing that one of them would betray Him.  He instituted the holy Supper of His body and blood, which we Christians continue to observe and receive still today.  Then, He went over to this garden with His disciples.

Matthew tells us that Jesus then took Peter, James, and John with Him a little farther on into the garden.  This wasn't unusual, as Jesus often took these three, seemingly as the "closest" of the disciples.  But then, Jesus even leaves them and goes on farther by Himself.  Jesus goes a little farther by Himself, and then He falls down and prays what is likely the most fervent prayer prayed in the history of this world.

I've read in any number of leadership books that it's lonely at the top.  If you are the one with whom the buck ultimately stops, it can be very lonely.  You don't have anyone you can point fingers at if things go wrong.  You bear the responsibility.  While you may have the authority, that responsibility is the other side of the coin.  You, and you alone bear the burden.

Jesus knows this.  Jesus knows this far better than any of us.  This very morning, I went into our sanctuary, our holy place before God, because there are times when the weight of being "the one" bears down.  Sometimes that weight is staggering.  Sometimes that weight is put upon us by our own doing, and sometimes it's there because of others.  Regardless, that weight falls on the shoulders, and calls for a response.

Jesus gave me a good reminder as I knelt there before Him.  My weight, as significant as it is for me, is microscopic compared to that weight that He bore.  And I was reminded of something else.  It isn't that Jesus takes away the weight from my shoulders.  He does provide the means by which to share that burden.  That's something I often need to be reminded of.  It's something I need to take up, and for which I am very thankful when He provides those who share the burden.

Jesus prayed the desperate prayer all alone.  In all that He did, endured, and overcame, He now gives us the way by which to share the burden.  And I say share the burden.  God does not often remove the burden, but He does provide those with whom we can share the burden.  Thanks be to God for that, in Christ our Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment