Friday, May 9, 2014

The Depth of Good News

It's probably happened to you as it has happened to me.  You meet someone who says that they are truly passionate about something.  You see the evidence in their life.  Not only do they talk about this thing that they are passionate about, but it infiltrates their life in very deep, meaningful ways.  You may or may not necessarily agree with the thing they are passionate about, but you cannot deny the depth of their passion.

I've been that way about running in the past.  I love to run.  It's not always easy, but I enjoy it when I get the chance.  (Yes, sometimes work and family matters preclude me from getting to that which I love, but the love remains, even when the miles aren't being pounded.)  If you look on my nightstand, you see running magazines.  If you look in my closet, you see running shoes and clothes.  It's something that I have a certain amount of passion toward.

Just imagine if we, the people of God, who have been rescued and redeemed by Christ Jesus, would carry that passion over into all aspects of our lives.  Now, let me be clear, you can be God's child, but not necessarily spilling out this passion in many and various ways.  However, as you are filled with the forgiveness of Christ Jesus, and as the new life springs up in you through your Baptism, imagine if that passion for Christ Jesus started revealing itself in passionate ways in your life.

Far too often, we settle for a shallower Christian faith.  After this blog post, I'm going to post another one, with a link to a youtube video that I believe speaks somewhat to this.  To me, it's sad that we often settle for a shallower version of the good news of God in Christ Jesus, and therefore, we have less to be passionate about.

Think about it for a moment, though.  Isn't the good news of what God has done for us in Jesus just about the most meaningful, valuable thing we could ever have?  If I'm passionate about running shoes, shirts, and shorts, how much more should I be passionate about eternal life, and forgiveness of sin?  The depth of God's Good News is far deeper than my best run ever. 

Growing in that passion would be a good thing.  It's not the goal of faith, but rather, an expression of faith.  May that expression be growing in your life as you live as God's redeemed, forgiven child.

No comments:

Post a Comment