Thursday, November 7, 2013

Keeping Things Simple

I have discovered in life that I really appreciate it when things are simple.  The thing is, I find that there is much of life that just isn't all that simple.  I also find that we do lots of things as humans that mix things up and fail to keep them simple.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to read a series of books on simplicity.  One of my favorites from it is called "Simple Church."  It talks about how churches have lots of things going on, but so often are missing a simple, unifying "thing" that gives guidance and direction to the activities and ministries of the church.  Churches often get lots of good ideas, and then put them into practice, but they start to lead to more confusion and less unity within the church.

I find that same principle at work in my life.  I like to keep things simple.  I don't like to have lots of choices for things because lots of choices means things aren't that simple.  I don't like to have to deal with confusing situations, which is why I really try not to dig too deeply into my health insurance "stuff" (it gives me a headache even thinking about it!).  I like to keep things as simple as possible, because it allows a much greater focus and commitment when it's simple.

In some ways, I can see how this same thought can apply to us when it comes to our Christian faith.  When we think about it, the Christian faith is actually a very simple thing to understand.  We are a fallen, sinful creation that God wanted to restore to Himself, so Jesus did the work necessary to restore us.  Now, in response, God gives us new life that seeks to live as God's will and design calls for.  The message really is that simple.  But for some reason, we Christians tend to want to complicate it.  And then, when we introduce it to people who don't know much about Christianity, they tend to want to complicate it even more.

However, keeping things simple requires a lot of work.  Keeping the Gospel message at the heart and soul of all we do in a congregation requires saying yes to few things and no to a lot more good things.  Trying to apply the simple message of hope and forgiveness to messy human lives leads to a tendency to want to complicate things, or come up with why this situation is unique.  We try to complicate, and all the while, God tries to keep it simple.

It takes work to keep things simple.  I've noticed that in my life and in my ministry.  But it's work that is worthwhile, because the more we keep things simple, the greater the message impacts those whom we touch, and the greater the benefit to those to whom we minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment