Friday, November 1, 2013

Being Appreciative

I don't know how well-known it is, but typically each year, October is chosen to be a month for God's people to show their appreciation to their pastor for serving God and His people in the office of the public ministry.  It gives God's people a chance to recognize the work that goes on in bringing the Gospel message to people, and also simply gives people a chance to love their pastors.  And yes, I can say that pastors truly do appreciate the love that God's people show toward them.

I recognize that, in writing this, it in some ways seems a bit self-serving.  If I draw attention to pastor appreciation month, am I just trying to get people to appreciate me?  Not really.  I will admit to a certain amount of joy that comes with being appreciated, but if that were the reason I currently do what I do, well, I should probably re-examine my life.

However, I do need to say that it's always humbling and touching when God's people demonstrate their appreciation.  And this year, I can honestly say that I have been moved by the amount of appreciation that has been shown to me.  So many wonderful cards, and so many touching and generous gifts have truly let me know that God's people appreciate my humble, meager efforts to bring the Gospel message to bear.  While I will be sure to say thank you to the various individuals who did such things, I also want to let everyone know that I also appreciate them.

It is a great honor when people believe that you are serving God and His people well.  It's very easy for a pastor to recognize his faults and flaws, and to dwell on them.  That uplifting that takes place when God's people demonstrate appreciation can truly make a big difference in the life and ministry of a pastor.  And that is why, when all is said and done, all I can say is "Thank you, and all praise be to God the Father, Son, and Spirit."  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment