Sunday, September 9, 2012

September 9 Catechism Devotion

How can water do such great things?  Certainly not just water, but the word of God in and with the water does these things, along with the faith which trusts this word of God in the water.  For without God's word the water is plain water, and no baptism.  But with the word of God it is a Baptism, that is, a life-giving water, rich in grace, and a washing of the new birth in the Holy Spirit, as St. Paul says in Titus chapter 3: "He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Lord so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs, having the hope of eternal life.  This is a trustworthy saying."

Galatians 3:26-27--You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Devotion--Paul writes that you "clothed with Christ" through your baptism.  Now, for most of us, our clothing is a rather obvious thing.  What you wear is readily apparent to others.  In my case, sometimes my clothing reveals the fact that I suffer from colorblindness (not to mention mere bad taste, as well).  So once I got married and had a wife to run my shirts and ties past, my clothing seemed to improve greatly.

As a Christian, our baptism clothes us with Christ.  While it may be incomplete as long as the sinful nature still remains within us, as Christians, that clothing should also find occasion to shine through.  While we simply cannot say that the Christian will completely overcome their sin, we can also confidently say that any Christian in whose life Christ fails to shine through is not fully living out their baptismal grace.

If the people in your life had only the actions and words of your life to base their thoughts upon, would they see that you are "clothed with Christ?"  If you never told them that you were a Christian, a follower of Christ, or that you had been baptized, would they see God's grace still covering you?  If so, in what ways?  If not, how can you better reveal the clothing that you wear?

Prayer--Lord Jesus, You have clothed me with Your very own life through my baptism.  I ask that You would help me live in such a way that my "Christ clothing" shines through brightly.  Even though I am still sinful, I pray that my life would also reveal that You have clothed me with your forgiveness and grace.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment