Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reaction to the News: When the Goverment places Demands on Faith Life

Let me start off by saying that, in my own personal mind, as well as that of the church body that I represent, I/we typically prefer not to have to make statements about governmental type issues.  With that said, every once in a while, there are particular issues that simply cannot be left without giving input, insight, and sharing my/our thoughts without betraying my/our conscience.

For those who keep up with political things, you know that universal health care has been a goal of the government for quite some time.  Our current President has been seeking that goal as part of his term in office, and this is an admirable thing.  However, when the governing officials seek to put parts of that program in place which go against the faith and beliefs of people, our particular belief is that they then have overstepped their boundaries.

The current issue that is at hand is not that the government wants to provide universal health care.  That effort is applauded.  The issue at hand is when there are provisions in that program which clearly betray faith and belief.  Can you imagine passing a health care law that would require the Amish to bring in surgery and other technology into their society, and then having them simply accept that without any protest?  Hardly.  And so the same thing goes when the government includes the necessity of providing abortion-causing provisions into their health care plan.

I and my church body commend the government for wanting to provide for the needs of everyone in our country.  However, when that same government forces individuals and groups to include things that go against their faith and practice, they must be resisted.  As I and my church body believe that God creates life when conception first takes place, being forced to provide drugs that would kill that new, precious life simply cannot be accepted.

I applaud the leader of my church body for making a statement before Congress today to express our beliefs and consciences.  My prayer is that our elected leaders hear the cry of many Christians (and perhaps many others) and recognize that they can achieve their goal of universal health care without including provisions that betray the conscience of many.  I had to admit that I will always remain skeptical of their ability and willingness to do this, and simply hope and pray that our God will continue to shower His grace upon His people, who seek to follow in the way that He created us.

No comments:

Post a Comment