Thursday, February 23, 2012

Another of God's Lessons

Please forgive me if I don't make a point very quickly to this blog post.  It's one of those things that is a pretty difficult concept to put into words and to make it make any kind of sense.  So please bear with me.

Yesterday, I was driving from my gym back up to work after my run.  I happened to get behind this white car with a neighboring state license plate.  This car was going a few MPH under the speed limit, and didn't seem to really be paying too much attention to the road.  When we came up to a stop sign, the driver waited for another car to go through, even though the white car had the right of way.  And then, to make matters worse in my eyes, this car was going almost exactly along the same route that I was taking back to work.

I admit that I was very frustrated.  The driver of the white car didn't seem to be too aware of the rules of the road.  That driver also didn't seem to really care much about how his/her driving impacted others, at least in my eyes.  But I remember a thought entering my mind right about the time we pulled up the four way stop, a thought that really unsettled me.

Isn't that exactly how we must seem to God?  Think of it.  He created us, and in doing so, He established a number of "rules" of life in how we should live with each other.  And yet, as you venture through life, don't you come across a number of people that just seem like they aren't aware of the rules of life?  And even if they happen to be aware of them, how many seem to still do their own thing, regardless of the situation or who may be around?

To send Jesus not only to live among people who are like that, but to actually be patient with them, to want them to know that they are His very own, and that He loves them, seems to defy any kind of sense of logic.  I have to admit that I will probably never love the driver of that white car.  And yet, God is so very patient with us when we are like that driver.  When we don't seem to know the rules of life, God is still patient with us.  When we do our own thing and don't really care how it affects other people, God still looks to be patient with us, and to forgive us.

I have to admit that I will never fully understand that attitude of God toward us.  Sure, in my life, I'll find glimpses of it coming to life.  But then, I find myself looking for that opening so I can just get away from the white car drivers of my life.  I may not hold it against them once I'm past them, but while they are in my sights, I sure don't seem to be very caring or compassionate or patient with them.

Can you relate to that?  Does thinking about how God would react toward that other person affect the way you react toward them? 

3 comments:

  1. That's such a beautiful way to look at life. At times, I've thought that I need to see myself and others the way God sees us, and it does help.

    I've never thought about how Jesus walked the earth with people who just didn't understand. Imagine how frustrating that would be for us to be around people who just didn't get it all the time. It's amazing how He still loves us and is patient and kind with us no matter how stupid we can be. I am in awe at the love and patience He has for all of us.

    Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should thank you, Jenn. You always have such great comments, and I don't reply to them nearly often enough. It's amazing how things can suddenly hit you at the strangest of times, isn't it? I never would have suspected one of those moments while being aggravated behind an Idaho driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Idaho Driver? I resemble that remark! j/k

      I liked the post too.
      Jeremy

      Delete