Friday, April 12, 2013

An Historic Post

No, I'm not talking about history today, except in the loosest sense of the term.  As I was signing in to write today's post, I noticed that it is post #400 since I started my blog.  That just seemed to call for some kind of recognition, though what exactly it means, who knows?

In some ways, when I think about my blog, I think of it mostly as my attempt to think about things "out loud", so to speak.  Many of my posts are my attempts to think my way through the challenges of bringing God's timeless word into a day and culture far different from the one it was written in.  Sure, there are some things that are the same.  People are still sinful.  God is still a God of grace and of justice.  Sin calls for a price, and Jesus has fully paid the price. 

But as we think about the day and age we live in, we also realize that many things are far different than that day and age and culture.  We are raised to think in a truly different way from most of the biblical writers.  Studies have been conducted to demonstrate the difference between our Western, linear mode of thinking and the Eastern, circular way of thinking.  We face the same temptations as the people of that day, but the way they announce themselves are somewhat different.  We have far more information as our disposal than the people of that day, and perhaps a greater dose of scepticism as well.

So when I post, that's what I'm attempting to do.  I'm attempting to bridge the gap between the world of the Bible times and our world today.  I'm attempting to discern what the timeless truths of God are, and how they "fit" into our culture and time today.  It's not always easy, and some of the things God says fit better than others, but it's a task well worth the effort.

So here's to post # 400, and hoping that there are many more to come.  Also, I hope and pray that my thinking continues to get further refined as we move forward together.

No comments:

Post a Comment