Friday, August 24, 2012

Is Resting Productive?

Friday is typically a day off of work for me.  It's the day when I would lay around the house and take a nap before my daughter was born.  It meant a day away from the rigors of work, a day to get my head and body rested and recovered.

And yet, I have found an interesting thing that happens in my head when it comes to Fridays.  I always look for something to be doing.  Truth be told, I'm one of those people that has a hard time just sitting around watching TV, or playing on the computer, or only reading a book.  While I don't mind doing any of those, I also cannot just sit there at one of them for hours on end without going a little crazy.

But today it hit me for some reason.  Why do I need to find something "productive" to be doing when I can be resting?  Could it be that I have been taken over by the American idea that you always have to be productive, or your time is being wasted?  I have visited other countries where they take breaks throughout the day, and where their vacation time typically adds up to more than a month.  Why do I, and we, as Americans, have such a hard time seeing rest as something productive?

I've grown to realize the productiveness of rest when it comes to my running.  If I were to simply run seven days a week, I know that my body would wear out.  It needs time away from running to heal the minor muscle tears and to recover.  Without that time away from the roads or the treadmill, the body will eventually break down, and running will then become a chore rather than something enjoyable.

It really does seem that God knows what He was doing when He told His people to set aside a day of rest (the literal meaning of the word Sabbath is day of rest).  Without that day that we set aside to focus on Him, and to get away from the work of our hands, we would never have time for the healing that we need, both from letting our minds and bodies rest, as well as the refreshing that takes place when we find ourselves in the place where God speaks His Word to us, and where He gives us His gifts as we take time to devote ourselves to Him.

Now, I understand that resting means different things for different people.  Your idea of rest may not be the same as mine.  Though I may not understand it, you may never find an eight mile run restful.  But I see how it is for my body and soul, and so I hope that you also find that your time of rest is indeed productive.

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh at myself. As I read "Is Resting Productive" I found myself thinking "I need to work on getting more rest." Work on resting? Our culture does ingrain words like work and productivity much more than words like balance, harmony, or soul. My eternal soul may be less tangible than my last paycheck, but certainly more important.

    ReplyDelete