Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Faith and Technology: My 200th Post

Today marks a great day for me.  I started this blog up about 10 or 11 months ago, with the goal of trying to blog about 5-6 times a week.  For the most part, I've been able to do that, though there have been trips and vacations and other such things that have gotten in the way on occasion.  So here it is today: my 200th post.

What is amazing to me is how technology has made things like this possible.  I still remember back to my early days in college, when I first received a free AOL disc in the mail and was invited to join the online community.  I remember the sound of my computer dialing up its modem to reach into this thing called the "internet".  I remember having the ability to talk to people in chat rooms and in IMs, and how cool I thought it was at the time.

Technology certainly has made many things more possible than they were before.  I almost shudder at times to think about where things will be in 10 years or 20 years.  The one truth concerning technology is that it is always changing.  So it seems that we must be ready to change as our gadgets and gizmos change almost at the speed of light.

There has been one really good thing about this explosion of technology that I have observed.  It is that we are able to be in touch with our brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus that much easier.  I have websites that I go to in order to look up bible verses with specific words in them.  I have sites that I go to in order to read up on some of the latest thoughts of theologians.  Just a few minutes ago, I downloaded and prepared our worship service's music for tonight, and will have someone pushing play on the computer to deliver the organ music that we will be singing to.  Technology makes it possible to do so many different things that can serve our Lord Jesus and our faith life.

I am thankful for technology.  Yes, I realize that it has its downsides, and we will talk about those in some of the upcoming posts.  As with all things, when technology is put to good use in the right hands, it can be a tremendous blessing.  When in the wrong hands, and with the wrong intents, it can cause severe damage to our society.

My hope is that I always seek to make the good, positive use of technology as it continues to advance forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment