Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Being Noticed

"Thanks for noticing me."  Eeyore

"Let the one who is taught share all good things with the one who teaches."  St. Paul

I have to admit that there are a lot of things that I do in life that very few other people ever notice.  In some cases, I really don't want or expect to be noticed for them.  An example of this is when I change one of the candles at my church every Saturday morning.  It's a small task, and one that relatively few people notice when we worship, but I just enjoy doing it.

However, there are also times when I do something and hope that other people will notice.  It's not necessarily that I need an ego boost or something like that, but that it's just nice when it gets noticed.  When I cook a nice meal for my wife, or when I do some of my regular chores around the house, it's nice for me when she notices and tells me that she appreciates what I do.  (I should also remark that she does this quite often and quite well!)

I believe that we all want to be noticed at certain times in life.  Maybe it's for something that we do, or maybe it's because that person is very important to us.  We may not even want to be noticed ourselves, but sometimes we only want others to notice what we did.  Hearing a word of appreciation for how clean the kitchen floor is may be just the thing that we want noticed, rather than personal notice for ourselves. 

Since God created us to be in community with one another, noticing each other and the contributions that each of us bring to the community are important parts of our life together.  When we do as Paul wrote and share good things with one another, we notice them as people.  We notice that they are important to us.  When we do this, we also notice that they play an important role in our life.  This makes our life together very personal, and shows us the importance of being in the community and being a part of the community.

Who can you notice or share something with today that just might be waiting to be noticed?

No comments:

Post a Comment