Monday, May 2, 2011

Terror, Death, Justice, and Forgiveness

By now, it's old news to everyone.  Sometime over the weekend, US military forces struck and killed Osama bin Laden and took possession of his body.  As the news broke throughout the US, may rejoiced that justice was done. 


In this world, God has created governing institutions to care for and protect the people under them.  These servants of God are to ensure safety, peace, and protection for the people that they rule over, and thus, serve the people in that fashion.  Sometimes this does entail carrying the sword, just as Paul wrote in Romans 13:1-7.

We can always be thankful when a threat to our safety has been removed.  Yet, the very fact of death also is a reminder that every single person in this world is a sinful human being, who stands in need of God's forgiveness offered through Jesus.  In that regard, you and I stand before God just the same as Osama bin Laden, a sinful person in need of God's forgiveness through Jesus and the cross.  And yes, I know that many may find that a very offensive thought, but that is the reality of sin which lives within us, and from which we cannot escape.

The cry of justice has also been trumpeted regarding bin Laden's death.  Worldly justice has indeed been done.  The consequences of crime and terror have been paid.  Yet, in our souls, we should also remember that every soul that perishes in this world without saving faith in Jesus is one that we have sadness for.  God's justice, in pouring out the wrath at sin on Jesus and the cross, means that no person need depart from this world without saving hope.  Sadly, there are many, such as bin Laden, who seem to defy that need for God's justice in Jesus.

I believe it is very easy to confuse our Christian faith and our nationality as Americans.  God has not specifically blessed the United States more than other countries, and our way of life is not better, biblically, than others.  While it is good and right to be thankful for what we have been given, we also remember that it is by God's grace, and that we are messengers of His grace into a world that desperately needs to hear of God's justice and mercy and forgiveness, through Jesus and the cross.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I love this post. I have enjoyed reading all your posts, but I just had to let you know that I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I actually wrote something similar to my family this morning. I would post it here, but it is pretty long, and I don't know if blogger would allow me to post the whole thing. If you would like to read it, let me know, and I will forward it to you.

    ReplyDelete