Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Psalms: Music, Poetry, and God

I love reading through the Psalms.  Some of the most well-known verses of the Bible are found in them, and I just find them a refreshing word from God when I read through them.  They are the kind of words and phrases that paint pictures of God for us, and that make us think about who God is, what He has done.  They engage the mind, while at the same time touching the heart and the soul.

Also, a good number of the Psalms give titles to tell the tune in which they were to be sung.  Music has a way of touching our hearts and souls at a very deep, personal level.  For me personally, there are times where I just have to put down the books, close my eyes, and let some music play to re-orient myself in life.  Sometimes it's just instrumental, but sometimes it involves words.  And that's what the Psalms seem to have been written for.  They were the way that God's people would sing and rejoice and grow in their faith as they sang them, whether together or when they were alone.

Over the next few days, we'll walk through some of the Psalms.  I'll share some of my thoughts on them, and how they point out a number of things about God that are good and useful and beneficial for us.  But above all, I hope you get a glimpse of how God works in our hearts through words and phrases that really serve to engage our minds and hearts and souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment