Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Christian Journaling

When you think of it, the Christian faith has a long history of writing down the interactions of God in the life of His people.  In one sense, that's what the Bible is.  It is a journal of God's interactions with His people, inspired by His very own Spirit, so that we can look back on it, learn from it, and grow in it.  Even St. Paul himself wrote in a couple of places that the things written down long ago were written down for our instruction and learning.  And then, in places like Deuteronomy 4 and 6, the directive is given to continually be reflecting on these things so that they are learned by God's people, by their children, and their children's children.

Part of the reason that we have such a rich abundance of the history of God's church is because His people have consistently written down their thoughts, their discussions, and their conclusions.  Part of the historical part of my studies to become a pastor had to do with reading the accounts of very early church people and what they wrote down.  If you think about it, if they had not written down the things that they did, so much would have been lost about God's continued working in the lives of His people, the Church.

Sadly, in our current day and age, the discipline of journaling has been largely lost.  Especially in our day and time, we suppose that we are far too busy to take time to reflect on what God has done in our lives each day.  We're so intent to get on to the next task, or to finish our work so that we can engage in entertainment that we don't take time to write down what God has been doing in the context of our lives.  So it is any surprise that we look back and wonder where God has been all along, since we haven't taken the time to reflect on His presence and working in our lives?

I'll admit that I am not the most avid of journalers.  I've attempted it in the past, but it always seems to get short shift.  However, I have arrived at a point in life where I see the importance of journaling.  I also see that it's not just a benefit to my life, but to the lives of God's people, as well.

In future posts, I'm going to be describing a project that I will be undertaking that will involve not just me, but people in the congregation I am part of.  Rest assured, journaling will be a big focus point of it.  I look forward to seeing how it goes over as God's people seek to engage this lost discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment