Friday, February 28, 2014

Help! My Mouth Leaks

As I reflect on my life, there are a lot of things that I find myself enslaved to.  One of the more unfortunate ones is my desire to always be talking.  Prior to meeting my wife, I used to babble and chatter nonstop.  If someone said something, I usually thought I had to say something in response.  I can imagine that it got quite old for people to hear one person say something, then I respond, someone else say something, I respond, and so on.  A conversation in which one person speaks every other time tends to get quite dull after a bit.

The problem isn't so much the speaking, though.  The problem is the thought process that goes behind the speaking.  The truth is, I thought that what I had to say was more important than what others had to say.  So I would simply speak what came to mind because, to my way of thinking, I had something important to say, and they all needed to hear it.  It didn't matter if it was informed or not, I had to say it.  And still today, even after having this pointed out to me, and with many intentional efforts to be a better listener, I still find that I'm a slave to my desire to want to say something and think that it's the most important thing they need to hear.

I truly find it fascinating how often the Bible emphasizes that wisdom is found more in keeping your mouth shut than in speaking your mind.  The Proverbs are filled with this kind of wisdom.  And truthfully, it takes a great deal of self control to keep from flapping my lips all the time.  Even though I am engaged in an occupation and vocation in which speaking is a big part of the job, I still find that, when I say less, I usually end up saying more.

Think of it this way.  If you feel you have something to say on everything, what tends to happen is that other people start to tune you out.  On the other hand, when you don't speak all the time, often people will listen to what you say, especially if you prove to have something wise to contribute.  We've all known that person in life that, when he or she spoke, you knew true gold was coming out, and so you paid attention.  You've also known that person who opened their mouth so often that you started to dread when you saw their lips part.

I'm a slave to wanting to say something in response to everything someone else says.  Even though, outwardly, I may have tamed that instinct some, it still lives within me.  I'm a slave to the thought that my thoughts are worthy of having everyone hear them, invited or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment