Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Grammarian's Dilemma

Some of you may know or suspect that I am a grammarian.  In fact, there are times when I can be a bit of a grammar Nazi.  Part of this springs up from having learned a few different languages along the way, and having realized that how we speak or construct our thoughts actually is pretty important.  Another part has been stretched and challenged in doctoral level studies and work, which calls for much clarity of thought and precision of wording.

Anyway, to get to the point.  There's a common phrase nowadays that says something along the lines of, "I accepted Jesus."  This phrase always raises a bit of struggle in me.  Mostly, it comes from a theological basis.  From my reading of the Bible, we don't truly accept Jesus as we would accept an award or a prize.  Instead, it's God who does the choosing of us, and who does the working within us to make us His own.  Now, we may come to a realization of what God has done, and at that moment or time have our eyes opened, and in some form or fashion we could call that "acceptance", but in that regard, it's more of an acceptance of an accomplished fact than anything else.

Part of the struggle I have with this phrase comes from my desire to be precise with wording.  I want people to think about what they are saying and meaning when they say such a phrase.  But often, I find myself asking, "Is this really the time or the place to engage in THAT discussion?"  After all, the moment of "acceptance" can be a truly meaningful moment for the person.  To hear that I'm writing off their moment simply because I don't like the word that they use can seem rather unforgiving.  And so, I find this struggle going on.  Do I say something in the interest of precise, accurate wording, or do I consider that this may be a battle for another day?

To be honest, part of the reason I'm writing about this is because I don't have an answer.  It seems that we should always be striving to be as precise in our language as possible, and at the same time, we should strive to be caring toward others and sometimes overlook their minor sins of imprecise language.  Which one does the situation call for?  That's where I put my hope in Jesus' ability to forgive me for making the wrong choice when I have, and where I put my trust in the Spirit's guidance when I have gone the proper direction according to His prompting.  May I grow in that as I continue to share Christ Jesus in my life and ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment