Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reaction to the News: Mothers, the Office, and the Home

On Monday, while I was running on the treadmill at my local gym, I was watching the Headline News network.  One feature that they kept running was a feature on mothers and the impact of the workplace.  In particular, they were making the claim that studies have shown that mothers who work have less depression, more energy, and things of that nature, whereas their counterparts who stay at home to nurture children are more depressed, less energetic, and things like that.

I have several thoughts which that news piece brought to mind.  First, that really does seem to show just how much we in America have put our value on what we do rather than who we are.  If you are an athlete who makes millions of dollars, you have value.  If you are a productive member of society, you have value.  But then, if you're just someone who stays home with kids, then you seem to not have much value.  What was once hailed as the highest role a woman could play has now been reduced to something that is of low value and almost seems to make a woman a second-rate citizen.

One of the great impacts that Martin Luther had in understanding the Bible was the value that God places upon every role in life.  The fact is, we all have many different roles that we each play, and each one carries a great deal of importance and value.  For example, I am a son to my parents, a brother to my sisters, a godfather to two darling children, a husband to my wife, and a spiritual leader to those I serve.  In addition, I have found additional value in my role as a runner, as a student in a doctoral program, and in other places where I give of my time to serve.

That is what disturbed me so much about this news article.  It basically seemed to be saying that mothers who stay at home with their children suffer more and are more likely to suffer from things like depression.  In other words, they don't see the value that they bring to the role that they play.  Our society has taken motherhood and basically put it into a place where a woman has a child, and then is expected to put that child aside (into daycare or school or some other fitting place) and then go back to being a productive member of society if they are to have any value, either in the eyes of others or of themselves.

To me, that is simply wrong.  The very core building block of any society is the family.  That means that the highest roles that we can play in society begins with husband and wife.  First and foremost, man and woman should be dedicated to each other and value each other for what God has made them to be, giving thanks that the other one is part of your life.  Then, the next highest roles come directly from the fruit of that relationship, those of father and mother to any children who may come forth from that relationship.  I honestly cannot think of any higher role that a man or a woman can play than these two, as God gives opportunity.

While I understand the sad reality that many women do indeed have to work in order to maintain a life for the family, I sincerely hope that those of you who read this and are mothers value that role of mother as one of the highest ones in society, regardless of what society may say or think.  And for those of you who are not mothers, I hope that these thoughts cause you to think about how you may portray the value of being a mother to those you share your life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment