Monday, August 15, 2011

Alcohol, conferences, and their connection

During my time in Russia, we held a five day conference in Siberia.  This conference was for church workers and their wives.  The first day of the conference, as we all gathered together, the President of the district laid out a few ground rules for our time together.  One of the more interesting ones was that no alcohol was to be consumed for the duration of the conference.

In light of the problem of alcoholism in Russia, this rule made perfect sense.  Since the problem of alcoholism is so prevalent in Russia (I would argue that it is here in America too, though we just don't want to admit it), I fully supported this rule.  When men and women in Christ come together, while there are occasions where a friendly drink or two may be appropriate, holding a conference in which the problems of hangovers, or even people who have one or two and then let their loose tongues wag is not something that is going to happen, was something I was looking forward to.

I found it very nice and refreshing to have conversations with people who were sober minded (I have taken part in past conferences or meetings where one or two people may have had a few drinks, and then proceeded to share their thoughts on everything under the sun).  I also was struck by the thought: what would happen if a similar rule was put in place when pastors in my particular church body came together to meet.

This is where I think our American sense of individualism would really be highlighted.  If such a rule were put in place, I have no doubt that there would be many who would simply reply, "You can't tell me what to do" or some variation of this.  And yet, I think that having sober-minded conversations with my brothers in Christ could serve to give us clear heads to pray together, worship together, and actually talk about things together without the negative effects of alcohol interfering.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not at all opposed to sharing a beer or two (or, even better, a really nice glass of wine!).  I do think that there are occasions where that is appropriate, and others where it isn't.  When we gather to make decisions that concern the state of a particular church body, or when we are supposed to be having productive talks, I think that alcohol has a greater negative effect than we may realize.

(As I write these things, I also feel compelled to mention that I believe the problem of alcoholism strikes many more pastors than we really may think.  Such a rule would remove that temptation from them, and, as for those who truly do not have this problem, looking upon our brother's need in love really should compel us to avoid something that is a temptation for him out of his benefit, and not do it simply because it's my right.  Again, just my personal thoughts, though I do believe that God mentions doing things such as this quite often in the Bible.)

1 comment: