Friday, June 24, 2011

The Power of the Story: Redemption

Typically, Fridays are my day off of work.  I use this day away from the regular pattern of work to reconnect with myself, usually involving some time to rest my mind and body, and I will often try to do something that I find enjoyable.

This morning, I found myself finishing up a movie that I had started earlier in the week.  Many of you are likely familiar with the Peter Jackson "Lord of the Ring" movies that came out a few years ago.  I have all three extended editions, and had started "The Fellowship of the Ring" earlier this week, watching a little bit here and there.  So this morning, as I was resting and relaxing, I watched the last half hour of the movie.

There is the scene where Boromir tries to take the ring of power from Frodo, only to have Frodo escape from his grasp.  When Boromir comes to his senses, and when Pippen and Merri are threatened, he then redeems himself by fighting to the death to defend them.  When Aragorn finds him, he confesses what he did to Frodo, and, as he dies, Aragorn speaks words of comfort, showing that he is forgiven, and wishes him peace as he dies.

This theme of redemption comes up quite often in movies and books, in the world of entertainment.  It's a theme that speaks powerfully to our hearts.  I believe part of the reason for this is that we all realize that we are in need of redeeming, and want to know and believe that there is something in us worth redeeming.  Of course, in the Bible, we are told of how great of lengths God has gone to in order to redeem us, through Jesus, and the cross.  It reminds us that God sees such value in us that He chose that path willingly, knowing the pain and suffering, and yet deeming it all worthwhile for people like you and I.

The next time you watch a movie or read a story about someone redeeming themselves or being redeemed by another, I hope that it reminds you of the redeeming love of a God who would send a Savior in Jesus, to make you His very own.

No comments:

Post a Comment