Friday, March 11, 2011

Discipline

What do you think of when you hear the word discipline?  For some, the thoughts may go toward punishment.  For others, a particular person who lives very disciplined may come to mind.  Thoughts of self-denial, or of pushing one's self are also possibilities.

I've been called a disciplined person by a few people in my time.  Part of this is physical, which is necessary when one is a runner.  5 miles or more at least 5 days a week takes a deal of commitment, endurance, and mental stamina (yes, running is more mental than physical once you really get into it, but having great people who support and help, such as my wife and the people at the gym, help immensely).  I'm also fairly disciplined with the use of my time.  Pursuing a doctoral degree means devoting time to the work and reading and writing that is needed.

I have also found this discipline in my spiritual practices.  Time devoted to reading and reflecting on God's Word is something I set aside each day.  Prayer is included in that, as well.  And then, I even spend time listening to music that is prayerlike and helps me to think about God.

Does this come easily?  No.  Discipline is hard work.  It means that you have to set aside things that you might prefer (play games, watch TV, etc) in order to do what needs to be done.  It can seem punishing, such as when I run and my feet pay the price, especially when breaking in a new pair of shoes.  It can be difficult to establish, but once it is in place, it also brings great joy.

My thought is that this is the kind of discipline God speaks of in Hebrews 12, where the writer says that God disciplines us for our good.  It's the same kind of discipline Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 9, where he says he disciplines his body for the work of the Gospel.  Not punishment, but the endurance and commitment to devote one's self to God and His kingdom.

Does this match with your thoughts of discipline?  We'll talk a bit about discipline over the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment