Monday, March 21, 2011

Another word on Physical Discipline

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize?  So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."  Paul, in 1 Corinthians 9.

Does your body control you, or do you control your body?  That seems like a simplistic kind of question.  I also don't know that there is a correct answer, as though it should be an either/or question.  In some ways, our body does control us.  When we get hungry, our body tells us that it requires food.  When our eyes droop and our limbs are tired, our body controls us by telling us to get some rest.

Yet, there are other times when we control our bodies.  We may find ourselves craving a bag of potato chips, but know that it isn't the best thing nutrition-wise.  Or we know that our body will protest a bit when we step up our exercise routine, but in the end, it will adapt and grow in its fitness level.  (Again, we have to listen to our body so that we don't hurt ourselves, but we will also find that our bodies tend to like the stage where they are at and don't really want to push limits.) 

Paul puts a different perspective on this, in my mind.  He doesn't answer my question above so much as he makes us think about the reason for controlling/disciplining our bodies.  Are we doing it (or failing to do it) for ourselves, or do we have some greater purpose with our bodies?  If we look upon our bodies as something that is mine, to do with what I want, we will likely find that our bodies control us more than we control them.

However, if our bodies are given to us for a higher purpose, or if we have a reason or cause which brings requirements upon our bodies, then we are more likely to keep them under better control.  For example, I like to run.  But I also don't run for the sake of running.  Running helps prepare me for my calling as a pastor.  I'm better able to serve God and His people when my body is in good shape.  When I lead worship, I don't have to huff and puff to get through the hour or so.  My fitness plan is designed for fun, yes, but the larger picture is that it better enables me to serve my God, which is much higher than any personal goals I may set for myself.

The great thing is, God also seems to allow a great deal of enjoyment as I do that in service to Him.  I've ran a few races along the way, and have enjoyed them very much.  Finishing half-marathons feels good.  Getting a good time in a 5K brings joy.  And yet, even then, the reason they feel so good is because those things are also working for a purpose higher than myself.  And that gives me a reason to keep up the discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment