Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beginning a Book

Those of you who know me well know that I like to read (okay, maybe obsess about reading, but that's another story!).  I've had the book "The Shack" sitting on my shelf for a while, and last night, decided to start reading it.  I've heard both good and bad things about it, from many of my Christian acquaintances. 

That got me to thinking.  How do we, as Christians, approach fictional literature that seems to have a biblical basis?  I was even in a Christian bookstore recently, and noticed that there were quite a few "Christian Fiction" books available.  I can honestly say that I don't have a really good answer to that question.

So what are your thoughts on Christian fiction?  Good?  Bad?  Unnecessary? 

2 comments:

  1. My last blog post was about The Shack!! I loved that book; I started it in the morning and fell asleep with it on the couch with less than 10 pages to go. I don't know how I feel about it as a Christian novel, there are so many questions it brings up and so many feelings. It did make me wish Jesus and God were that close, that all of us could have those same conversations and experiences. It opened up a new world to me in terms of what kind of relationship we could have with God and with other people in our lives. I'm curious to hear what you think of this topic also. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly a good advertising strategy. The more a publisher can target a market, the easier it is to organize a sale force.

    ReplyDelete