Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wilderness Roamings

Over the past week and a half, I have been on the go a lot.  Back on the 12th, I headed down to Orlando, Florida, for the every-three-years worth of business that our church body engages in.  It was a great convention, headed under the theme "Engaged in the Master's Business."  I will be sharing a bit more on this in a few future posts.

Then, once I returned from that trip, I had a one day turn-around before my family and I hit the airport all together.  We flew out to the church that I had formerly pastored at, in northern Utah.  The congregation there was celebrating 50 years of God's work in Utah, and we were privileged and humbled to be part of that work and time.  It was a joyous celebration, as well as a great time to reconnect with many caring relationships that we had made over the course of more than a decade.

In a way, the past week and a half has me feeling as though I have been in the wilderness roaming around.  When you are traveling, it's always hit and miss with internet time, and so my blogging took a back seat over the past two weeks or so.  In a sense, I relate just a tiny bit to those Israelites who left Egypt at God's deliverance, who then doubted that God could deliver the Promised Land into their hands.  They were without a permanent home for a period of 40 years, wandering around in the wilderness.

Yet, even in that time period, and even though that generation of adults had been told that they would not inherit the Promised Land, God still proved faithful to His people.  They continued to be His people, and He dwelt with them.  It's much the same for us when we find ourselves wandering, so to speak.  We have the promise that our Lord Jesus is with us.  We have the promise that nothing in this world can take us out of His nail-pierced hands. 

That's a great promise for us to remember when we find ourselves wandering in the wilderness.  That time of wandering also helps us appreciate even more the gift of a permanent home that our God delivers us to.  That's why I revel in God's presence with me in the wilderness wanderings, and just as much as I return to home, and to the work that He has prepared for me to be engaged in doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment