Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December 3 Midweek Advent Worship

For those following from home, here is the December 3 worship service.  You can find the video for the service and the sermon on the Oak Road Lutheran youtube page.



HYMN “Creator of the Stars of Night” [LSB 351; LW 17]

INVOCATION

Pastor: In the name of the Father and of the  Son and of the Holy Spirit.
People:            Amen.


OPENING SENTENCES Colossians 1:15–20; John 14:6–9, alt.

Pastor: [Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
People:            For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him.

Pastor: And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
People:            And He is the Head of the Body, the Church.

Pastor: He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead,
People:            that in everything He might be preeminent.

Pastor: For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,
People:            and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.

Pastor: Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him,
People:            “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.”

Pastor: “Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father.”




PSALM Psalm 95:1–7; antiphon: v. 6

Pastor: Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord;
People:            let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!

Pastor: Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving;
People:            let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise!

Pastor: For the Lord is a great God,
People:            and a great King above all gods.

Pastor: In His hand are the depths of the earth;
People:            the heights of the mountains are His also.

Pastor: The sea is His, for He made it,
People:            and His hands formed the dry land.

Pastor: Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
People:            let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!

Pastor: For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture,
People:            and the sheep of His hand.

All:       Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!


Bible Reading: Genesis 12:1-3

Lector:  This is the Word of the Lord.
People:            Thanks be to God.


CATECHISM The First Article of the Apostles’ Creed

Pastor: I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.

What does this mean?

People:            I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.

He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.

He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil. All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him.

This is most certainly true.


SERIES HYMN: LSB 342; What Hope! An Eden Prophesied

SERMON


OFFERING

PRAYERS OF THE CHURCH

LORD’S PRAYER (Matthew 6:9–13)

People:            Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven;
give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those
who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom
and the power and the glory
forever and ever. Amen.


PRAYER OF THE DAY

Pastor: Lord Jesus, Word of God at creation and with us now, when You walked this earth as one of us, You revealed our heavenly Father’s true nature;
People:            so now graciously open our hearts and minds by Your Holy Spirit that in our life and conduct we may show ourselves to be the Father’s new creation. Amen.

Pastor: Hear our prayer, Lord Jesus, Word of God Incarnate,
People:            and show us the Father, our Creator.

LUTHER’S EVENING PRAYER

Pastor: Let us pray.
People:            I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Pastor: Hear our prayer, Lord Jesus, Word of God Incarnate,
People:            and show us the Father, our Creator.

BENEDICTION

Pastor: The blessing of almighty God—the Father,  Son, and Holy Spirit—be upon you now and forever.
People:            Amen.


HYMN LSB 343; Prepare The Royal Highway

DISMISSAL

Pastor: Go in peace as you serve the Lord.
People:            Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

  1. Fundamentalist Christians, the KKK, and Neo-Nazis

    I do not expect to change the mind of even one Christian fundamentalist by my online "war" against gay-hate-speech-promoting Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod official, Paul T. McCain and Patrick Henry Christian College provost, Gene Veith. I do not expect that any amount of reasoned argument will convince them of their vicious, hateful, "un-Jesus-like" behavior.

    My goal is to expose them.

    My goal is to have their Churches, Universities, Associations, and Websites added to the list of Hate Groups loathed by the overwhelming majority of the American people; so deeply loathed and reviled that these groups are marginalized to the sidelines of American society, politics, and culture; their opinions and views held in no more regard than that of other sponsors of hate, such as the KKK and Neo-Nazis.

    http://www.lutherwasnotbornagain.com/2014/12/lutheran-church-official-paul-t-mccain.html

    ReplyDelete