Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Scriptural Accountability

There is a thought and directive that comes straight from the pages of God's Word to us that, to be quite frank, scares me to death.  Take a moment to open up your Bible (or click over the link here to do so) and read Ezekiel 33:1-9.  In there, God tells Ezekiel that he is a watchman for God.  If Ezekiel warns the people of God's wrath, but they don't turn away, at least Ezekiel has done his duty.  The people are then responsible for their own sin in God's eyes.  However, if Ezekiel fails to warn them, they will still be responsible for their sin in God's eyes, but God will also hold Ezekiel accountable, for his failure to warn them about the coming wrath of God.

That is, honestly, a terrifying thought.  To think that there may be people around me who stand in danger of bearing God's wrath, and I have the responsibility to warn them of that wrath, well, that's a tough one in the first place.  But to think that I am also held responsible for their condemnation if I failed to warn them of that coming wrath of God, well, that is downright terrifying.  How many missed opportunities have been there?  How often have I failed to speak when necessary?

It might seem that this would be easier when it is God's own people that I should have to talk with about this matter.  After all, we share faith, we share similar morals and ethics, so warning them should be easier, right?  And yet, how many times have I failed to speak up when I saw a brother or sister engaged in some sin that is blatantly contrary to God's Word?  How many times have I failed in that simply because I wanted to avoid the confrontation, or because I didn't want to come across as judgmental or damning? 

Speaking truth with love, especially concerning God's wrath, isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, mostly because we know that our sinful nature doesn't like to hear such a thing, and neither will theirs.  Yet, what could be more loving than to speak that word that hurts, yet brings the ultimate healing of God's forgiveness?

I read an article this morning about the famous comedian pair, Pen and Teller.  To be blunt, neither one is a Christian, and yet, the article made reference to them saying this.  If you truly believe that there is a heaven and a hell, and you know what would cause people to be sent to hell, how much must you hate them to fail to say anything to warn them about it?  Tough words for someone like me to hear, especially from an atheist, telling me that I am hateful if I don't speak that word.  Now, granted, they may have an axe to grind (undoutedly), but the point is well taken. 

Not only that, to think that, as was pointed out to Ezekiel, we actually are held accountable for others.  This week, I'll be focusing on accountability, since that word seems somewhat forgotten in our day and age.  Biblically speaking, it's there, and it's a tough teaching to take.  However, with the light of the Gospel shining on us, God prepares us to be held accountable, and to hold others accountable, according to His Word and design. 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this a slippery slope. We are not suppose to judge others, but look at our own sins. I don't feel I have the right to point out the sins of others when I have my own sins to take of. What do you all think?????

    ReplyDelete