Tuesday, June 10, 2014

On The Lighter Side

There is a lot of joy that comes in ministering in the name of Jesus.  Far too often, we focus on the hardships, the sins of the people, and where the problems are.  But make no mistake, as God re-creates us in the waters of baptism, that new creation that emerges and arises before God also has a great deal of joy involved.

One of my particularly joyful areas comes when I get to work with kids.  In fact, I would even say, I really love working with kids before they reach school age.  Some of you may be surprised to learn that I actually worked at a preschool for about three years of my life, and they were some of the most fun times I have had in work and ministry.  Even today, I live for moments when I can surround myself with kids and play with them.

That's not just because I have a very joyful and exuberant two year old girl at home.  I honestly believe that God created me with some kind of gift for interacting with kids of a young age.  I love walking with them, talking with them, playing with them, and just simply being with them.  I often think that, if my career allowed, I would probably invite parents to just drop their young ones off in my office for the day and I would find a great deal of joy in that.  Of course, sermons might be about two minutes long if I were to regularly do that, but who knows, some might even say that would be an improvement!

There is great joy in children.  I don't believe that it was a coincidence that Jesus chose a small child to illustrate the kind of faith He seeks when He addressed His disciples.  Nowhere do you typically see more joy than in the face of a child.  That's the joy that I wish for all of God's people, even as we face the realities and struggles of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment