Wednesday, October 30, 2013

When it's manly to cry

It's the kind of news that no one ever wants to hear, but over the past 12 months, give or take a few, I've heard it now four times.  12 years ago, I graduated from Concordia Seminary with a class of about 75 men, who headed out to become pastors all over the country and world.  As with quite a few classes, there were a good number of young guys, as well as some who were heeding God's call as they began their second "career" as pastors.

With the communication of this world being what it is, you can learn about things pretty quickly.  As I entered my office and checked into the online world, I had an email from a classmate.  Yet another one of my classmates from the class of 2001 had gone forth to receive his eternal inheritance.  I had been keeping up with this friend on Facebook, and had known that he was having some heart issues.  Needless to say, I didn't expect to check my email early this afternoon and hear such news.

During the time of classroom work and learning, you truly do forge a bond with those who are your classmates.  You learn together, argue together, struggle with the classwork together, and have a beer or two together.  You get to know their families, and in the day and age we now live in, you can even keep up with their lives, to some small degree.  You stand with them, and you know of some of the common struggles that they face, as they face all of us.  And so, when one of your brothers falls along the way, it hits hard.

Even as I type these words, I cannot keep the tears from welling up in my eyes and rolling down my cheeks.  But you know what?  I would dare say, in cases such as this, it truly is manly to cry.  In fact, I would even go so far as to suggest that it's practically inhuman NOT to cry.  And yes, over the years, I have truly become unashamed of those times when I am moved to tears.  If Jesus, the most manly of men ever to walk this earth, saw fit to shed tears when a dear friend had left this life, then there is no way that I will ever be ashamed to let my tears fall in similar circumstances.

Even as those tears fall, however, they are merely tears that miss the camaraderie that I enjoyed with my friend.  That's because I know that it's only a temporary situation.  Jesus has promised that He will re-appear, calling everyone from their graves, and bringing all who trust in Him to eternal life that never ends.  In that kingdom, death will never enter in, and no separation will ever come between God and His people.  That's why I have full and complete assurance that I will see these friends again, standing with them in a place where joy will be all in all, and where nothing will ever separate us again.  Praise be to God in Christ Jesus, our Lord.  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment