Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Accuser

"For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.  For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing."  Romans 7:18-19

I hate speed limit signs.  I don't hate the idea of them.  I actually understand that they are there for the safety of the public, and I do want to keep the public safe.  But I hate speed limit signs.  I want to drive as fast as I feel I am capable of, given the circumstances.  Usually it's not all that much faster than what is posted, but just the thought of having a cap on my speed brings out the ire in me.

I also find that same kind of thing with many of the things that God says in the Bible.  That's why I relate so well with the words of Paul in the verses above.  I want to do things according to my thoughts, and not necessarily in the way that God designed.  And so, when I read about how God says to do things, or to approach situations in life, I often find the accusing finger pointed at me.

The things that God says to do are my accuser.  And the reason that they accuse me is because I have that "thing" within me that doesn't want to have to fit in with what God says.  In the Bible, that thing is sin.  It's the old nature that I was born with, that one passed down from the first man and woman, courtesy of their original disobedience in the garden.  When they chose not to do things God's way, but to follow their own minds and hearts, they didn't just get themselves in trouble.  They got the rest of us in trouble as well.

Because that's who we are as human beings, we find that the things that God says to do are always accusing us.  It accuses the old sinful nature within us.  In fact, it cannot help but do that.  The old sinful nature doesn't do what God says.  It doesn't like God's Law or restrictions, or whatever other word you may want to use.  And so, when our nature comes into contact with God's Law, we cannot help but be accused.  That Law always accuses the sinful nature.

That's where we need the Good News that God brings into our lives through our Baptism.  In that action, God brings to life a new creation within us.  That new creation is one that wants to do God's commands and Law.  It wants to live according to the design that God created.  The Law will always accuse the sinful nature.  But when the new creation springs into being, it looks at that same Law, and sees the kind of life that God designed us to live.  And it rejoices in that life.  It wants to do it, which is why Paul can say that He has the desire to do what is good.  That's the new creation at work in him, and that same new creation lives to do God's will.  And that's the same good news that belongs to all who believe and are baptized into the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment