Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"For You"

Last year, for one of my classes, I had to read an interesting book.  The book talked about the study of theology, and took the perspective that theology has one primary aim and goal. That goal is to bring what God has done in Christ Jesus to the individual, to bring that person into the saving arms of Christ Jesus.  In essence, the author said that theology isn't just the study and formulation of doctrines.  Instead, it is taking what God has said and then saying to people, this is FOR YOU.

I had to pause and reflect on a lot of what I had said and taught over the years after I finished reading that book.  As I look back on many of the messages that I have prepared and preached, I see that there are many times that I have talked about God, and about Jesus, but way too many times where I have failed to take the next step, to say that what God accomplished in Jesus was done FOR YOU, the people who were listening.  Sure, what I said may have been accurately in line with what the Bible says, but failure to make it personal is still failure.

I wonder how many people used to sit in pews, listening to sermons like so many of mine, hearing doctrinal dissertations rather than a message that was spoken to them, and then decided that what they were hearing simply wasn't for them.  I have to confess my part in that, and, since that class, have really tried to make sure that I make it clear each time I speak that God did what He did for every single person who is there and listening that day.  I don't want to get up and lecture ABOUT God, but want everyone there to hear and know that God was at work for them.  And now, each week, I reflect on the words that I prepare to speak to make sure that I make that obvious at least two to three times in each message.

As you reflect on the messages you hear from Christian pulpits, how often do you hear specifically that God has been at work, especially in Christ Jesus, for you?  In fact, this coming Sunday, count how many times the preacher indicates that God is at work for you.  And then, don't be afraid to say how you either heard it, or how you failed to hear it.  Praise the message if it was made clear that God was doing His work for you.  If that message failed to be proclaimed, then that preacher needs the reminder, more than ever, that God's word needs to be proclaimed in such a way as to assure every listener that God is at work for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment