Tuesday, July 17, 2012

God's Will and What I Do

I have to admit that the thought has never really crossed my mind.  "What would God have me to wear this morning?"  Another thought that hasn't really ever entered my mind is "What does God want me to eat for this meal?"  Yet, I have read stories over the years about people who take the time to pray about these things, looking to God to seek His will about what clothes to wear, what food to eat, and other such things.

Let me get this clear right up front.  I am not intending to demean anyone who seeks God's will in regard to these things.  As I stated in yesterday's post, I really do believe that God's will is happening throughout this world, but that we won't always see what that will looks like (more on this thought in future posts).  And I don't want to say that God doesn't care about what we eat, or what we wear, since there are some food restrictions that God has put upon His people at various times, as well as some fairly specific detail given regarding some of the clothing options for His people, especially His priests.  Yet, I have to also express my belief that God probably doesn't have His will thwarted if I choose a colorful button-up shirt rather than a blue polo shirt.

Now, does God have a will regarding my life on any particular day?  I am absolutely positive of that.  Sometimes it may mean that what I wear will have a particular significance, and at other times, it won't.  I may never know how much my clothing impacts others, and if God is working His will through my clothing, I give Him all the credit, since He truly is doing it without any conscious effort on my part.  (And God does have a tendency to work in such a way, it seems.)

Yet, there is a lot that God has to say about my life each day.  I am reminded of that every morning when I awaken next to my wife, usually because I hear my young daughter moving around in her crib.  It's a reminder that God does will for me to be a good, faithful husband to my wife, and a good, loving father to my daughter.  God does indeed have a will for what I do in regard to them.

Likewise, as I leave for work, I find that God does have a will regarding that, too.  As a pastor, I have a God-given responsibility toward the people entrusted into my care.  God's will often leads me to pray for them, to be in contact with them, and to think about the plans that I make, the words that I speak, and the various activities I engage in as a pastor.  These all have a great deal of impact on the people that I have been entrusted to care for in God's stead, and God does indeed have a few things to say about that in the Bible.

In the same way, I also find that God has a will regarding the people I come into contact with each day.  Do I demonstrate a godly care and compassion toward them?  Am I truly loving my neighbor as I love myself?  After all, these are things that God makes clear in the Bible that I should be about on a daily basis.  Not just when I feel up to it, but as I come across those people in my life. 

You see, I find that there is a great deal of my daily life where God's will is lived out.  I'm going to have enough on my hands simply trying to keep up with all of this, much less trying to add the stress of seeking His will in what I wear or what I eat.  The reality is, God does have a will regarding much of what we do each day, which gives us more than enough to occupy our thoughts and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment