Monday, June 25, 2012

Thinking Deep Thoughts

Some of you may know that I am pursuing a higher education degree, one called a Doctor of Ministry.  This degree is intended to be a practical application of Lutheran Christian teaching and practice, consisting of things which I learn, which I then put into practice in the life of the congregation.  I've been at this for a few years now, and each time I've been engaged in my two week classes, I've always had something to work with.

It hasn't been all that often that I've felt overwhelmed by the depth of the things that I have to read and learn for the classes.  Sure, there are many authors that are not easy to read, but the basics of what they say make a great deal of sense.  However, for this go-round, I have been encountered with a class that has challenged me to read authors that attempt to get at the background of the reasons that people today think the way they do, and then to discern what that means for the Christian Church as we approach them with the good news of God in Christ Jesus.  Needless to say, this has been very challenging.

Have you ever really tried to understand someone who really thinks differently than you do?  Have you ever tried to engage someone whose whole life and existence is based upon something very different from your own?  I know I've heard it said many times, "I just don't understand X (X could be the younger generation, the fascination with some form of entertainment or music, or pretty much anything else.)"  Shoot, maybe you've thought that on a number of occasions, too.  That kind of statement shows just how big of a challenge this is.

I'm really looking forward to the two papers that I have to write afterward for this particular class.  I have no doubt that I will struggle to get them written, since I'll have to think about things that will sometimes lie beyond my way of thinking.  However, I see the benefit of such a challenge as this, and since I love to take up challenges, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

Explaining it to others, well, now you're talking a different kind of ballgame.

No comments:

Post a Comment