Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday Musings

An assortment of random thoughts floating around in my head this afternoon.

  • Yesterday marked the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.  Now, I'm not much of a history buff or anything like that, but it just seems to me that, anytime we humans start thinking that we've done something incredible, God has a tremendous way of humbling us and helping us see that we and the things of this earth are only temporary.  For further information, read about the tower of Babel in Genesis 11.
  • My wife is getting increasingly closer to our due date of May 7, though there are some signs that she may not make it all the way to that date.  Prayers for her and for our baby's health are greatly appreciated.  What a joy it is to have a God who looks upon us and hears us as a Father who dearly loves His children.
  • You learn so much  by reading a variety of books.  I read a number of current day popular books not only because I enjoy them, but because they also give me clues into the matters that people are being drawn to.  That gives me some common sources for talking with people and addressing matters of importance to them in their lives, always with the hope that God will open a door to talk about Him in that conversation.
  • I find myself torn quite often by my love of sports.  Two of my favorite teams have their seasons going on right now.  The Texas Rangers are off to a great start to their baseball season, and my San Antonio Spurs are looking like possible champions.  Yet, even as I cheer my teams on, I find myself not liking how much sports seems to consume the lives of so many.  Is our modern day life so bad that we need distractions such as sports, which then become multi-billion dollar industries simply because we can't deal with life without distractions?  This may make its way into some future posts.
  • Prayers go out for the many families and states that have been affected by all the bad weather, especially across the midwest.  Is it just me, or does it seem like coverage of the effects of "natural disasters" just draws our attention?  I think we are simply awed by such powerful forces that are out of our control.
While that's not all that's floating around my mind, I figure it's enough to get a few thoughts going inside of your heads, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment