Monday, January 9, 2012

Faith and Technology: Continued

Hi everyone,

Well, I blogged last week and told you of my intentions to be very regular about posting on here each day.  I even went so far as to say in last Tuesday's post that I would be continuing the Faith and Technology series the next day.  Well, that was before something happened that didn't exactly prevent me from blogging, but would have made it quite a task to accomplish.

I went to visit my family, and because of their location, the only internet connection that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is a dial-up connection.  (Yes, I realize that most of you who read this regularly probably just gasped, or started to wonder if there still is such a thing as dial-up.  Let me assure you, there is!)  This introduced a bit of a problem for me.  After all, most web pages now have so much content that a dial-up connection takes a long time to download all the information, and then just as long to upload it.  What this amounts to is that I didn't blog simply because I didn't want to wait as long as it would have taken.

Which brings me to this thought for today.  Isn't it amazing how we start to take for granted the good things that God gives to us, especially when it comes to technology?  I truly believe that God gave us minds to come up with these technological innovations, but, just like God's grace, it becomes very easy to take them for granted.  We start to expect better and faster, rather than simply appreciating the fact that we have what God has provided.  And that gets into a dangerous area for us, since it puts us in a position where we think that we can demand from God, just like we demand better and faster from our internet providers.

Technology, like grace, can be taken for granted.  And every once in a while, we need the reminder that technology is a gift, and that we should be thankful for what we have, even if it is slow like a dial-up connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment